Re: [OM] Film Storage

Subject: Re: [OM] Film Storage
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 08:53:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 Alex.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> How effective is this?

  Very effective. Film keeps for a long, long time, although fast
emulsions supposedly suffer damage from cosmic rays even in the freezer.

> I usually use the film well before its process-by date,
> but are there any other benefits of cold storage?

   Are you using pro emulsions, or amateur ? If you are freezing the
latter, you are probably cheating yourself out of optimum color, believe
it or not. You should "age" the film to at least 1/2 way from the date you
bought it, assuming it is fresh film, then freeze it. The color will be
better.

>  Are there any special considerations (ie can it be too cold? or
> could the film be tainted by food products?).

  The main dangers are: too rapid a defrosting which can cause
reticulation or using before it is completely defrosted, which imports
moisture into your camera via condensation. Contamination is not a problem
as long as the canisters are unopened, though I'd keep them away
from the radishes (yuck!) on principle.

                                    *= Doris Fang =*