Re: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem

Subject: Re: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 09:18:32 -0700
Jan;

Jan Steinman wrote:

> The
> average SUV milage is currently only 14 mpg. I am not making this up!

City.  And I doubt it's this low.  For the big beasts: Tahoe, Navigator
etc, yes. But the cherokees, 4Runners et al are higher.

> They could make fuel-efficient SUVs if they wanted to, or if
> consumers demanded it, which they would if US gasoline cost as much
> as it does in the rest of the world -- THAT was my point!

If this is true, then why do the Land Rovers (English) Land Cruisers
(Japan) and Mercedes (Germany) all get appx the same mileage as their US
competitors?

> Is there something in the water here? One person thinks I'm
> anti-military, the next thinks I'm anti-SUV? I've got to get better
> at making my point before I alienate everyone on this list... :-)
>
> FWIW: I drive a sort-of SUV that gets 30mpg on the highway.

Subarus ain't SUVs!  See you in Canyonlands? :>)

> Obligatory sort-of Olympus content: when we burn up all the
> petroleum, they'll have to once again make cameras out of metal, and
> the single-digit OM bodies will again be in style! :-)

:>) That's a good one!

And, Jan, I hope you don't take offense at my rantings.  I'm just real
tired of having to explain to people why I drive what I drive.  This
**is** a free country, ain't it? So it's none of anyones' damn business.
MYOB.
Not to give any 'Storm Troopers' any new ideas, but out here in Cal, in
the oh-so-liberal and diversity-loving town of Palo Alto, there are
actually Storm Troopers who conspire against SUV owners by always
parking their little cars in the big spaces so there'll be nothing left
for the SUVs but the compact spaces where they either can't fit, or will
get a ticket! I'm not making this up, some have written to the newspaper
about their grand designs.  Do you suppose these people, usually the
same ones with the 'Mean People Suck' bumper stickers, could look in the
mirror and please get a life?

George