RE: [OM] OM Web ring help

Subject: RE: [OM] OM Web ring help
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 11:21:38 +0200
Hi,

A pity I came a bit late (i.e. when the question had already been answered)
for this thread:

> Well I tried it, and it works, so yes, this is the preferred solution for
the
> framing problem!

Yes, it is actually considered to be bad HTML "coding" practice to use the
target="_blank" attribute (at least when it's used excessively). The
target"_top" setting is preferred, so users don't get stuck in someone
else's frames.
Another fine example of bad HTML practice is usage of the infamous <blink>
attribute...:)

> It works even so good, that I have applied it to the starting pages of my
mirror
> site on Xoom and it allowed me to get rid of the stupid commercial banners
that
> Xoom puts on every page by framing it. To see what I mean, click
> http://members.xoom.com/veluwen , the starting page that gets framed, and
follow
> the Enter hyperlink, which uses the target=_top parameter, and see what
happens
> to the banners. HTML programming is almost fun! ;)

What I tried was to enter a meta http equiv=refresh tag in my index file so
it would automatically issue a redirect to a second page (in which I broke
out of the frames), however, the Java code that Xoom adds was smart enough
to intercept that. I haven't tried putting a "bootstrap" page on a different
server and issuing the redirect from there, but I think the first page
that's served from Xoom always has that banner (regardless of which page you
address), so then that redirect would also not work.
It might be better to just host the images on Xoom, and put the HTML
elsewhere like on Angelfire... I will experiment a bit with this...

Cheers!
Olafo