Re: [OT] SUVs, peace (was: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem)

Subject: Re: [OT] SUVs, peace (was: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem)
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 08:35:28 -0500 (CDT)
>Before the term "SUV" was even coined, almost before they existed
>(yes, I know the Cherokee and various International Harvesters have
>been around forever), those who really NEEDED such a thing (vs. those
>who are currently buying them just to take the kids to soccer) used a
>4WD pickup and a canopy.

Oh, hell. I promised myself I'd stay out of this, but I just can't.

Who can tell you what sort of car you need? Couldn't we just as
easily suggest that if everyone would move from the suburbs back
into downtown that they wouldn't need a car at all? Do any of us NEED
our precious Zuikos? Do we really NEED cable TV, telephones, or air
conditioning? Couldn't we just get by with a few skins, a berry bush,
and a good cave?

I grew up & live on a farm. I suppose even the eco-folks would
grudgingly admit that I can justify a pickup or an SUV. On the
farm, we've had SUVs (jeeps, suburbans, scouts, 4 door trucks) as
long
as I can remember - farm hands have to get around the farm somehow,
and we figured it wouldn't hurt if they could be comfortable doing so
- the rest of their job sure isn't.

But I also drove a Bronco when I was playing music in the city full
time. I liked the way it handled, I could afford it, it had plenty of
room for my gear and a couple of other musicians, could tow a
trailer, and I could sleep in the back if I had to.

Do you suppose someone could tell just by looking whether I NEEDED
the Bronco? Should I have run my vehicle decision by the ethics board
to be sure they approved of my choice of vehicles?

In a society that rightfully chastises people for making assumptions
based on ethnicity, religion, gender, or age, isn't it a little
absurd to make judgement calls on someone's choice of vehicle? Isn't
liberty all about freedom of choice and freedom of expression?

So leave the SUV drivers alone. If you don't like SUVs, then don't
buy one. Buy whatever you like, and I promise not to criticize you if
it looks a little silly to me. After all, I don't have to drive it,
right?

BB
-
B.B. Bean                                       bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx