Re: [OM] OM4T that took a salt bath - update (kinda long)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4T that took a salt bath - update (kinda long)
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 10:56:54 -0700
In a message dated 9/20/1999 Chip Stratton <chipstrat@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

<< I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to take the
top and/or botton plate off for some judicious
application of electrical grade silicone to electrical
parts that appear to be at risk for continued
corrosion, but lack a guide to doing this for the
OM4t. Perhaps another outfit would do this for me,
with no guarantees of course. >>

I know that John may be the best qualified to comment on this. That
said, I can give some limited advice based on my own technical
expertise/experience. No, I am not a camera technician. What I have done
for the past 20+ years as my "day job" is consumer electronic repair
which does include vast training and experience on video cameras so I
think I can safely comment on the electronics side of this question.

In my places of employment I too would (and have many times) declare
*any* salt water damaged piece of equipment non repairable. (In most
cases fresh water too actually.)

If the unfortunate victim were my camera I may take a stab at cleaning
up the soldering before corrosion set in badly. I would do this only
with the amount of experience I have in working with miniature and
delicate surface mount device PC boards though, I don't recommend you
try this unless you have some solid technical background and experience.
The corrosion worries are not so much in the solder connections (as they
can be redone relatively easily) but more so in the PC board (flexible
with very thing foils I assume) foils and the electronic components
themselves. Use of cleaners, grease, etc. will *not* slow the corrosion
damage once it has set in IMO.

I guess what I am saying is leave well enough alone and use the body
'till it dies. You may get lucky and it could go a while, or it may go
tomorrow. Kind of a crap shoot I fear. The other option would be to sell
it really cheap as a parts camera and be done with it. This list or eBay
would be good places to do that I imagine.

I hope this helps some. Even with my technical background and experience
I have not yet opened up a functional still camera. I have wanted to
learn more about it for many years, and may yet in this lifetime. For
now if one of my OMs needs help it will go to a professional like John.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
www.motorsportvisions.com