Re: [OM] Film Storage

Subject: Re: [OM] Film Storage
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 20:05:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Ingemar Uvhagen wrote:

> A few times a year I call a guy at Fujifilm in Sweden to talk films - slide
> films (Fuji). Not long ago, I happen to talk to another guy (still at Fujifilm
> Sweden) who said that there are no real difference between "professional" and
> "amateur" films. Nor are here no need at all to store (age) a film to increase
> colors or anything.

  Hmmmm. Funny, the Fuji Pro films I know of require refrigeration, and
are kept that way by stores (even mail-order) that service pros. Not so
for the amateur films. Hmmmm. Was his name Joseph Isuzu ?

> In fact, this kind of thing could successfully be done on
> films during the 1960's. Today, the effect that the aging did, is now kind of
> included in the manufacturing of the film. It sounds strange perhaps, but he
> said it is a whole different manufacturing process today than it was years ago
> when aging a film would improve the film's quality (characteristics).

   So is your Fuji contact saying the film has unlimited shelf life ? If
not (and mine have exp dates) ask him just what happens by the expiration
date ?

> Also, the difference between a "professional" slide film and a "amateur" slide
> film, is nearly non. All Fujichromes are manufactured from the same
> ingredients, the same process etc. He said though, that the only *theoretical*
> difference is that the base of a "pro" film is *slightly* more dense, which
> would resist fogging of film better than the "amateur" film. But he interposed
> that this has no real meaning in practice.

  So you are saying they are shafting the pro-film users ?

> He also said, that if you take one "pro" and one "amateur" film, and do a
> direct comparison, you will see no difference between them.

   I'd venture most people would not (anymore than they could tell Kodak
from Fuji).
   So basically, the Fuji FAQ is saying the company is engaged in a
deliberate fraud scheme ?

                                       *= Doris Fang =*