Re: Apologies in advance: Re: [OT] SUVs, peace (was: [OM] New OM-1N and

Subject: Re: Apologies in advance: Re: [OT] SUVs, peace (was: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem)
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 00:06:42 -0700
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
:>It's all in the false sense of safety the behemoth vehicles have...
:
:So, you think poeple who drive SUVs do not go out of their way to avoid
:accidents?

No, I said no such thing. What I did say, however, is that drivers of
these vehicles often have a false sense of security.

This is actually a proven fact. Ask any insurance agent. It's called "risk homeostasis" -- a theory than one maintains a constant risk level; that if one perceives risk has been abated, one will subconsciously do something else to increase risk to one's personal level of (dis)comfort.

One scientific, peer-reviewed study was on anti-lock brakes. These improve the efficiency of braking, but insurance companies soon noticed that there was no corresponding change in accident rates. Researchers then studied the drivers, and found that soon after switching to anti-lock brakes, they reduced their stopping distance accordingly. This appears to be subconscious, as interviews with the drivers revealed no conscious difference in their driving habits.

Sorry, don't have the reference. I heard one of the authors interviewed on the radio. Fascinating stuff. He also said that people have "stress homeostasis" -- that if one's stress is reduced, one will do something to increase it.

Obligatory Olympus content: I find I have "% keeper homeostasis." In the old days, when I used a Gossen Luna-Pro and a strictly manual camera, I had a number of photos that were trash due to bad exposure, but the rest of them were generally well-focused and composed. Then I got an OM-2, and switched to automatic exposure. Now all my goofs are perfectly exposed, and I still have the same number of "keepers."

I guess if I'd switch to auto-focus, I'd have the same number of perfectly exposed, perfectly focused goofs. :-)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>