Re: [OM] toning prints

Subject: Re: [OM] toning prints
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:11:07 -0500
At 02:12 AM 9/23/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Can anyone suggest any way of toning prints other than with the use of
>store bought toners.  For example, I have been told that coffee can be
>used for this purpose.  Also, in what stage of print development is the
>print submersed into the toner?

I've used selenium toner and sepia toner only.  Follow the instructions,
but in general you tone a washed print.  You can cheat on this a little by
putting your selenium toner (for example) in with some Orbit wash (or
whatever), but wash the printer pretty thoroughly prior to this.

My recollection is that toners work poorly with RC papers.  Selenium
actually enhances the archivability of a paper.  Coffee I would think would
not be an archival brew if that matters to you.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA