Re: [OM] Real OM-ers "Swing"

Subject: Re: [OM] Real OM-ers "Swing"
From: Mike Rosenlof <rosenlof@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:03:37 -0600

Subject: [OM] Real OM-ers "Swing"??

[snip]
interesting: after he had said the the Pent** had the best meter, he
quipped that it had been instructive to use a swinging meter needle instead
of an LED (perhaps he meant LCD) to indicate light levels etc...

This idea found favour with me.  Should the OM List not exclude all those
who do not use swinging needles for, say, 300f their photography - not
OM3s or 4s.  This would mean that there would be less to go wrong with the
cameras on the List if they were dropped in salt water, that there would be
no fruitless discussions about "Hilite" or "Shadow" buttons.

In addition to a couple of OM-1n bodies, I also have Pentax KX and MX bodies. The LED meter on the MX has well known reliability problems. They're failing all over the world now. Not so for the needle on the KX, it just keeps working. The meter type, and availability of good MF new lenses was my main reason for buying into Olympus.

Of possible interest to this list, I'm doing some lens comparisons between similar Zuiko and Pentax lenses. I've finished the lens test target portion, but still have the real world and real shooting situation tests to do. Results should be interesting. I'm comparing 35/2.8, 100/2.8 and 50mm 1.8 Z vs. 1.4 P. Don't hold your breath, but I'll get results posted eventually.

---

mike rosenlof
rosenlof@xxxxxxxxx   mike_rosenlof@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.indra.com/~rosenlof