Re: [OM] Toning prints

Subject: Re: [OM] Toning prints
From: Mike Rosenlof <rosenlof@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:12:07 -0600

Can anyone suggest any way of toning prints other than with the use of
store bought toners.  For example, I have been told that coffee can be
used for this purpose.  Also, in what stage of print development is the
print submersed into the toner?

[no Olympus content here]

There are lots of different types of toners for b/w prints, store bought and home brewed. Methods differ. I too have heard of coffe as a toner, but I believe what it really does is stain the light areas of the print without really affecting the shadow areas. The effect is quite different from true toning. A sepia toner on the other hand will change the color of the silver - in effect changing the shadow areas the most and leaving the pure white parts still pure white.

I've done some experiments with Kodak Polytoner recently. It must be used after the print is well washed. Color changes with Ilford MG IV FB paper were there, but rather subtle. Color change with the Ilford MG Warmtone was dramatic. Too much so for my taste, but the resulting prints were almost orange-brown.

Selenium - Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner is very nice with the warmtone paper. Dilute the toner about 1:10. Print slightly light in this case as the toner is going to deepen the shadows significantly. Tone about 3 - 5 minutes.

---

mike rosenlof
rosenlof@xxxxxxxxx   mike_rosenlof@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.indra.com/~rosenlof