Re: [OM] Toning prints

Subject: Re: [OM] Toning prints
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 20:54:59 +0100
I had an enjoyable time a few years ago with a sepia toner (Barfen make if I
remember correctly) as a two bath process. The first was a bleach and you
could control the amount & depth of toning very well because the bleached
out image was the one that was toned by the second bath, i.e. if you left it
until all of the image had gone, then all of the image went brown in the
second bath. I found 50% was about right, when it seemed to smooth out the
gradation of the print.
I used a paintbrush to bleach some images selectively - the casing of a gold
watch, a solitary coin in a collection and the brass fittings in photos of
steam engines. It was done at the end of the printing process - in some
cases 15 years later!
Oh, and it worked just as well on RC papers too.

Regards,
Keith Berry (Birmingham, England)
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx