Re: [OM] Toning prints

Subject: Re: [OM] Toning prints
From: dhurley@xxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 15:27:54 -0500
>Can anyone suggest any way of toning prints other than with the use of
>store bought toners.

Several years (decades) ago when I first got interested in photography, I
questioned my dad about some photo's he took while overseas during WWII.
Some of his prints were brown and white, while others, obviously from the
same negative, were normal looking black and white.  He explained to me
that the "normal" looking prints were done after he got back.  The film
was processed and the original prints were made during "spare time" in
the motor pool.   The prints were dried by sticking them on windows.  The
"tinting" was apparently the result of his use of a thin coating of motor
oil on the windows to keep the emulsion from sticking to the glass.  He
told me that when the prints "popped" off the window they knew they were
dry.  Archival process?  Kodak probably wouldn't recommend it, but we
still have the prints, and they seem to be holding up as well as the
"normal prints." (attempt at your own risk, I never did)

Daryl Hurley