RE: [OM] Non Olympus flash guns

Subject: RE: [OM] Non Olympus flash guns
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 23:44:17 -0400
John,
They certainly can have problems.  One variable, not a problem, would be how
fast you are recycling the flash.  Is the ready light coming on before you
take the photo?  Check the accuracy of the recycle light by holding an AM
radio near the flash.  Tune the radio between stations.  You should hear the
oscillator stop whining on the radio at almost the same time the light comes
on.
Try some photos with flash on full manual to see if it has same power
consistently.
It the 283 still has problems, might be time to look at another flash, new
ones are only ~ $50US, repair cost would be around the same.
Good luck,
Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx

I have a Vivitar 283 flash gun and set the shutter speed to mechanical 1/60
second and set the aperture according to the ISO / distance dials on the
flash.

I shot a reel of Agfa 400 iso b/w film. Some consecutive shots of the same
situation using the same aperture and flash gun settings at the same
distance from camera to subject look as if they could be different by about
3 f stops.

I am wondering whether my flash gun could be "on the fritz" by making more
or less light of shorter or longer durations from one flash to the next. Do
flash guns play up at times and if so how can one check on their
reliability?

jh