RE: [OM] Non Olympus flash guns

Subject: RE: [OM] Non Olympus flash guns
From: John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 22:19:58 -0700
At 11:44 PM 25-09-99 -0400,  "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>John,
>They certainly can have problems.  One variable, not a problem, would be how
>fast you are recycling the flash.  Is the ready light coming on before you
>take the photo?  Check the accuracy of the recycle light by holding an AM
>radio near the flash.  Tune the radio between stations.  You should hear the
>oscillator stop whining on the radio at almost the same time the light comes
>on.
>Try some photos with flash on full manual to see if it has same power
>consistently.
>It the 283 still has problems, might be time to look at another flash, new
>ones are only ~ $50US, repair cost would be around the same.
>Good luck,
>Brian P. Huber

Brian........I was just ready to trash the pink bunny rabbit batteries
thinking that I should have stuck  with the gold top variety instead!
Several other listers and listerines have mentioned the recycling time
question and I will check this out. You are the first person to mention the
AM radio station tuning trick which I will check out......in fact I have
not heard of this before. I have a feeling that my flash gun is just fine
but that the operator is a bit of a dunce. Having numerous consecutive
shots which show such a diversity makes me think that I should take an 099
course in flash gun use. I have never developed any expertise ...... or in
fact any great interest either ......... in flash use and don't want to
blame my tools at this early stage of my enquiry.

jh