Re: [OM] Non Olympus flash guns

Subject: Re: [OM] Non Olympus flash guns
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 19:01:26 +0200
Olaf Greve schrieb:

> I have noticed that my F280 at times doesn't fire in Super FP mode (4Ti set
> to "Auto" and shutter speed was somewhere around 1/125 or 1/250), it had me
> puzzled as all "the variables" were set correctly.

That´s because your batteries are no longer good, unfortunatly the flash
doesn´t act adequate, ie. switching off themself.

> Now I think this might be because of what you wrote above. I don't recollect
> how long I was waiting exactly,

If it takes to long to recycle (20s or longer), change the batteries,
that is what Olympus says in an leaflet delivered with every F280.

The F280 is more sensitive to the battery voltage than the T32. The same
battery which can not recycle an F280 might still power up an T32.

> Can anyone confirm/deny this behaviour and/or does anyone know of a trick
> (or rule of thumb) to check if the F280 really is fully charged? Maybe it
> helps to listen carefully if the high pitched charging sound still carries
> on for a while after the flash-ready light is lit???

The charging sound of the F280 should stop when the flash is charged. An
T32 will continously make this noise and charge continously which means,
an T32 will waist battery energy. One should switch off an T32 when not
using it, an F280 will not drain the battery this much (at least that´s
my experience).

NiCd batteries are the best source of energy for all flashs, a second
set helps when the recycling time gets to long.

Regards

Richard