[OM] Performance of 21mm lenses

Subject: [OM] Performance of 21mm lenses
From: "Wiese" <wiese@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:10:57 +1000
Hi all,

In a recent thread, it was said (I forget by whom) that the slower 21 and 24
lenses outperformed the faster versions.  Gary R.'s tests of the 24s bears
this out, but the 21/2 is one of the few lenses he hasn't been able to test.
Does anyone have any experience in comparing the 21s in f/2 and f/3.5
versions as far as sharpness and distortion is concerned?  A 21 will
hopefully be my next purchase, and while I'm very happy with my 24/2.8, I
generally prefer faster lenses, and have passed up at least one 21/3.5
hoping for a faster version, so any insights would be welcome.

On a related note, I've become fairly disillusioned with the stock fixed
lens hoods supplied for lenses, particularly for wide-angles - I find them
useful for lens protection, but next to worthless for effective shading -
and this applies to all makes of lens, not just Olys.  Is anyone using
bellows shades on 35mm gear successfully?  Are there any brands to seek out
or avoid?  Thanks again for any tips.

Cheers

Andy