Re: [OM] Performance of 21mm lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Performance of 21mm lenses
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 03:32:17 EDT

> On a related note, I've become fairly disillusioned with the stock fixed
>  lens hoods supplied for lenses, particularly for wide-angles - I find them
>  useful for lens protection, but next to worthless for effective shading -
>  and this applies to all makes of lens, not just Olys.  Is anyone using
>  bellows shades on 35mm gear successfully?  Are there any brands to seek out
>  or avoid?  Thanks again for any tips.
>
>  Cheers
>
>  Andy

I have an Ambico hood that fits 49 to 58mm filter sizes.  It has a bellows
with a rectangular snout on the business end, has dual tracks and click stops
for 28, 35, 50, 85, and 135mm lens. The Ambico fits only in my big bag so
gets taken along less than it should. There's a filter slot for 3 inch
filters.but I don't know what type these are. Thye are still available
through B&H.

As for wider angle lens than 28mm, the only effective type of hoods are the
tulip types found for other brands. Many a time as I held my hat over a lens
waiting for "beep . . . . beep . . . . beep, etc .....bp.bp.bp.bp",  I wanted
to cut up a tuna tin into a tulip shape so I would have the exact shape.
These 12 seconds have given me plenty of time to think of how to build one
for a particular lens.  Attach a tin with the bottom cut out onto a filter
ring (or between the filter and the lens). Open up the back of the camera and
gently tape a transluscent piece of something on the film rails.  Illuminate
this paper.  Trace this pattern on the inside of the tin. Cut slighly beyond
this, smooth the metal, and blacken the insides. Voila, a fishy filter.

BTW, the hoods for the 28/2.0 and 24/2.8 are almost identical and can be used
interchangeably.

Warren
-smelling like tuna