Re: [OM] Re: I just caught wind that Canon is coming out with an EOS 3n

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: I just caught wind that Canon is coming out with an EOS 3n
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 11:28:06 +0200
Charles Loeven schrieb:

> >I wish Olympus would come out with something that would compete with the
> >newer autofocus.
>
> Not me.  I use OMs because of what they are.
> Canon and Nikon along with Minolta have a few laps head start on
> Olympus with pro autofocus.

Right, it´s to late for Olympus, to close the lap would be to expensive
and there are not enough customer who would be willing to spend a lot of
money for cameras. The photographic market is geting smaller and the
customers are not longer willing to spend a high percentage of there
income for cameras. Cameras are not longer "must-have" items like in the
70-80ies. There are many things more trendy than photographing today,
like computers, video, handies ..oh sorry cellular phones and of course
alltime number one money eater: cars. Only few companies are big enough
and have a big big enough customer base to allow them to compete in the
fast evolving AF market. The other seek their niche,so it´s no wonder we
see a growing number of specialized cameras.

> I would like to see an OMa - a for affordable.

> My suggestion to Oly,  get rid of the titanium and the multi spot metering.

What seens does it make to remove multi spot metering, I dare to say,
best metering system ever built in a camera?  Do you think silicon is
expensiv?

> A faster synch speed would be great.

A faster sync speed is IMHO far less important than a good light
metering system and the OM-4(Ti) has the best system available (but
there is still room for improvement).
And for what would an faster sync time be good? Fill in flash? The F280
can do that, but flash use will always look artificial.
Why do photographer use fill in flash today, to lower contrast, to make
it easier to print the pictures. I´m not shure, that this is an aproach
to get better pictures. A look at Bill Brandts work shows the value of
high contrast and wasn´t it Ansel Adams aim to capure the full range of
tones from black to white?
Not that an faster shutter would be bad, but I think it´s value is
overrated, even cameras with fast shutters choose a slower sync time to
better balance available and flash light.

The problem with OM cameras is not expensiv materials but small numbers
and high cost of production (labour) of classical fine mechanical
cameras.

This problem is not only Olympus one, look what cameras of similar build
and quality cost if made by other manufactors like Leica M6, R6.2, Nikon
F3, Contax S2.

Check an F4, covered by plastics with painted on writings, the writing
will disapear with use (I have seen one were this has already happend)
and thats a +2000US$ camera. The new and expensiv F5, F100 might have
metal tops, but still have only painted writings like most AF lenses
sold today.
An OM-4Ti/OM-3Ti and Zuiko lenses have, in contrast, a beautifull
finished body with all writings engraved, so one will still be able to
read it in 50 years.

Regards

Richard