Re: [OM] SUV definition

Subject: Re: [OM] SUV definition
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 10:56:00 -0500
On Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 06:37:33AM -0600, Garth Wood wrote:
> "SUV" = "Sport Utility Vehicle" = "big honkin' truck-like thing with rich
> interior appointments to make you think you're driving a Lincoln
> Continental that can off-road"
> See Also:  Range Rover, Mercedes M-class, Ford Tahoe, etc., etc., etc.

Uhm, that's a Chevrolet Tahoe, actually...

but an SUV doesn't have to be richly appointed on the inside...the cheapest,
stripped-down Chevy Blazer is still an SUV. Basically, to get an SUV, take a
pickup truck, stretch the cab backwards over where the bed would be, and add
a second row of seats. Many SUVs have evolved beyond this basic description,
but that's where they all (aside from a few possible exceptions such as the
M-class and my Toyota RAV4) came from. The pattern was set in the 60s by the
Chevy Suburban and International Harvester Travelall (the SUV in Ansel
Adams' picture Wayne posted recently). The Suburban has been called the
national car of Texas for years; it's sold more here than anywhere else in
the country, and often by a factor of two more than *everywhere* else in the
US...