Re: [OM] a few questions

Subject: Re: [OM] a few questions
From: Wayne Shumaker <shumaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 11:56:20 -0400
At 07:47 PM 9/25/99 -0700, Shuan wrote:

>Are there any out there on this list coming to Olympus from a nikon
>background? Can anyone share experiences they've had with the om4?

Hi Shuan

I used n*k*n before olympus, if you consider the N*kormat or the N*k*n
FG legitimate N*k*n cameras. The F3T is probably in a different class.
The N*kormat had the shutter speed ring on the lens mount like an OM. I
think the N*k*n aperture direction is in the opposite of the OM's. For
me, the FG took the fun out of photography, I bought that instead of
the OM I really wanted and my photography stalled. It was 10 years
later that I picked up my first OM camera, the OM-4t. Everything seemed
just right. It was a very instinctual camera, very suited to zone
system metering with its excellent spot meter. Photography has become
fun again. There are limitations to all camera systems. However, the
dynamic range of an OM4t combined with a 50/2macro is very nice. The
recent ADITL2 has shown me how much I can do with that combination
alone.

My favorite lenses: 18/3.5, 21/2, 50/2 macro, 50/1.2, 90/2 macro,
100/2.8 (it's so light compared to the 100/2, but the 100/2 is a better
lens), 180/2 and 350/2. The 350 is a bit heavy and does not travel as
much as the others and requires a haeavy duty tripod. The 180 with 1.4x
or 2x works well. Zooms I like: 65-200/4, the 35-80/2.8, and a Tokina
80-200/2.8.

Wayne