[OM] OM5+6a - was - Re: I just caught wind that Canon is coming out wit

Subject: [OM] OM5+6a - was - Re: I just caught wind that Canon is coming out with an EOS 3n
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 13:24:36 -0700
Hi gang,
Being as I started this how to reduce the price of an OM thing
I want to respond to a few comments.
This is my own personal thinking and if you are not interested
delete now.
===is the response     and     *is my answer.
What a variety of desires even from OM users.

====Personally I would say that the spto meter and the titanium bodies at
affordable prices are 2 of the 3 points that differentiate Olympus from any
other camera on teh market with the 3rd of course being the incredible size
and weight.  Take away the spot meter and the titanium and what you would
have is a cheap shitty body with no particularly advanced features jst like
every other entry level camera on the market.  It is extremely difficult to
engineer a spot meter into a manual focus camera due to the focussing
screens and Olympus has done a creditable job.  I think I could hardly
complain about the prices they charge.
=====

*What about the lenses and system built around them?
Think OM1 with a spot meter.

======The multi spot metering option has allowed me on average to get 34 or
more
out of 36 slides perfectly exposured [that's a fact] . Along with some very
fine optics and exposure reliability, the OM's multi spot metering is
simply a fabulous feature to have. If the photographer's ultimate
expectation is to have photographs which meet his or her every expectation,
the OM4T's metering system has got to be unsurpassed.======

*Congratulations on your success.
I personally would be able to live with out it. Multi spot that is.
Same with Titanium.
Remember I am trying to come up with a hypothetical OM full system
camera that is more affordable.  Say $500.

====Right, it´s to late for Olympus, to close the lap would be to expensive
and there are not enough customer who would be willing to spend a lot of
money for cameras. ====

*And IMHO it would not really be an OM.

> Not spot metering multi spot metering.>

===Wow, I meant multi-spot metering IS my all time favorite feature. And I
don't
think I would still be in Oly equipment without this feature.=====

===Not my all time favorite feature.===

*Interesting.  The last commenter stated how valuable it was to him.

===No No No!   These are the features which attracted me in the first place.
I do not believe these features are what make current OM's expensive, it is
more a case of the mostly-metal construction and the cost of assembly since
they are still assembled in japan where labour costs have risen quite a
bit.===

*I would not even guess if that were the case.  My ignorance of this is
would leave the subject to others.

Happy rebuttal,

Charlie L.