RE: [OM] Digital [was: I just caught wind that Canon is coming out wit

Subject: RE: [OM] Digital [was: I just caught wind that Canon is coming out with an EOS 3n]
From: Richard Ross <rhdesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 21:50:49 +0100
At 13:28 27/09/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Many now have personal computers at home. Digital photography has the allure
>of lower costs -- that is no cost for film processing.
>
>Nick Smoliga

Agreed, to some extent...  Here at least, decent quality paper for inkjets
costs a lot more than colour photo paper, not to mention the cost of the
ink itself.  And digital cameras that can rival 35mm film still cost
thousands - if you want quality you need film and a scanner.  So the "low
cost" is a myth IMHO, at least for the time being.  Of course, if you don't
have a darkroom and you do have a computer, the capital cost of getting
into doing your own printing is low, but the ongoing costs are not as small
as some would have us believe assuming you want a decent quality print as
opposed to the equivalent of a machine processed enprint from a minilab.

Cheers
Richard

Richard Ross
Hemel Hempstead, England