[OM] Re: OM5+6a - was - Re: I just caught wind that Canon is coming out

Subject: [OM] Re: OM5+6a - was - Re: I just caught wind that Canon is coming out with an EOS 3n (Long)
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:29:58 -0700
It was written sometime back by I don't recall who:

<< Take away the spot meter and the titanium and what you would
have is a cheap shitty body with no particularly advanced features jst
like
every other entry level camera on the market. >>

Hmm...given that in the early 70s I gave up my M2 for my first OM1
(which still works flawlessly I might add) I find that to be a bit
overstated. I let it pass the first time I read it posted but it has
been quoted enough times I felt obliged to comment. A Leica from the 50s
or 60s can capture just as good an image as an EOS3n or F5...let's not
forget it is just a light-proof box with a shutter really.

I haven't a clue what titanium has to do with picture quality, can
anyone fill me in here? As far as spot meters, yes I do find them
useful, and still hope to add an OM4 to my system someday (as opposed to
giving up on Olympus which I have seriously considered on more than one
occasion in recent years). I seldom use the spot meter on my OM2s, and
last time I did it was to take exposure readings to set my OM1 cuz it
currently has no battery and I wanted to run a test roll. The AE
metering in the OM2s is so good that I seldom need to second guess
it...and that is shooting slides. One can always buy a good spot meter,
which combined with a good working OM1 and good lenses, can capture just
as good (if not better) images than *any* "advanced" camera system on
the market today. What it won't give you is speed. The ability to shoot
off 6-8 frames per second with AF and AE between each frame so you can
shoot a thousand or so frames and choose the best ones. In the type of
work I do this technique is the norm nowadays, the purist in me feels it
is somewhat cheating, but at the same time we sports photographers have
our assignments and objectives and depending on what they are can't
afford to miss chances.

A year or so back I wrote Olympus Customer Service inquiring about their
lack of commitment to the professional 35mm systems. The reply I
received (I wish I could find it and paste it in here) was comical. The
gist of it was touting the release of the OM2000 (not even really an
Olympus...then again niether are the low cost N*k*ons), The IS series,
and their advancements into digital photography. I can sorta buy
that...my point and shoot is an IS series camera and there is a future
for digital photography (never thought I would actually say that but
seeing some incredible Iris prints has made me a believer).

Things that keep me remaining loyal to the OM system are the high level
of quality and long term reliability (that I have personally
experienced...) light weight, small size, and good ergonomics. If
someday I am forced to move to an "advanced" system I am not even sure
what way I would go...I suppose C*n*n. I keep holding out hope that
Olympus will give us something in the high end that offers the ability
to shoot fast. I have a feeling that won't happen though. Soon much of
the type of work I do will be all digital I have a feeling anyway so I
am very reluctant to dump large amounts of $$$ into a new film camera
system.

Commentary over...

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography