Re: [OM] Re: OM5+6a - was - Re: I just caught wind that Canon is coming

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM5+6a - was - Re: I just caught wind that Canon is coming out w...
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:55:42 -0700
In a message dated 9/28/1999 George S. <ClassicVW@xxxxxxx> writes:

<< RUGGEDNESS, Robustness, Build-Quality, whatever you like to call it.
I like the idea that since all I'm really carrying is just a
"light-proof box
with a shutter"
that my light-proof box is titanium, rather than plastic, which probably
protects the elctronics, shutter mechanism, et al, better. And so, if
all
other parts are undamaged, there IS a real chance of better
picture-quality,
IMO. >>

I was under the impression that the comparo was between earlier OM (and
other) *metal* bodies (i.e. Leicas, etc.). Not sure how plastic entered
the picture. I'm not sure what alloys were used in earlier OMs (and
Leicas, etc.) but aside from strength to weight ratios I'm not convinced
that titanium "protects" things any better in a camera body, we're not
talking F1 racing engine connecting rods here after all. If an older OM
body gets bashed hard enough to damage it internally do you really think
that titanium would make much of a difference? IMO, older OMs are pretty
darn RUGGED, Robust, have excellent build quality, with a high degree of
reliability.

I agree that strength, light weight, and compactness are what certainly
sets the current line of "professional" Olympus bodies apart from the
rest of the industry. That was why I bought my first OM1 way back when
(it is so old it is pre-motordrive and I bought it new) and why I still
use it and an OM2s today. But, when I am typically the only guy out
there working on the wall of a race track shooting with "antiques" one
has to think that most of the working professionals think differently.
As long as the clients who publish and purchase my work like it (they
could care less what I captured the images with...) I see no reason for
change. If I had critical week to week publication assignments and
deadlines I would think differently on equipment and prolly be using
C*n*n.

In other words, I could care less what Olympus used for the body
material so long as it holds up to the rigors of hard use in the field.
What I would like to see is for them to continue to offer what is still
one of the best internal metering systems available, continue to develop
and add to this a high speed AF series of lenses and bodies. I don't see
that happening anytime soon.

I think we can all agree that most of the OMs built are of very high
quality or we wouldn't be here on this list. I think also that among us
there are folks who would like to see Olympus put some development into
future professional equipment and lament that they don't seem to have
any plans of doing so (despite what their customer service people told
me in a spin they put in an e-mail to me).

Stepping off my soapbox now...

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Images Photography
www.motorsportvisions.com