Re: [OM] Help! Trapped at a wedding.

Subject: Re: [OM] Help! Trapped at a wedding.
From: Chris Johns <lc-johns@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 19:18:34 -0500
My sympathies to you Chris...I hope it goes better than my first (and ONLY)
wedding gig. Same story though, having done some nice (and not too
important) candids, I got snagged into a 'favor' to do an 'informal'
wedding. I had cold professional Kodak (is it thicker?) loaded and did the
shoot...on to frame 37, 38...you know what happened and so did I, which I
verified in a totally black bathroom. There wasn't enough aspirin in the
medicine cabinet to get me out of that one, so I had to tell the bride and
groom that the tail undid itself (was it too cold? how did THAT happen?). I
reshot the wedding, and everyone was less tense the second time around
(except me) probably making better shots.

Every frame came back gorgeous, so all's well that ends well. After that
humiliating experience I never wanted to shoot ANYTHING again. I did some
therapy of sorts compliments of my local library reading many accounts of
screw-ups that initiated some now very solid professional careers. So, I
felt less crappy about it and picked up again....with one important
exception: NO WEDDINGS!

If Murphy is your friend as he has been mine, I would be sure to use thawed
film, verify the advance on initial frames (I always do that now, and NEVER
use a winder unless I have to), extra batteries, extra body, extra flash
gun, etc. etc.

So, best of luck to ya!

Chris

>I've always said I'd *never* do "real" wedding shoots---I leave the
>do-or-die stuff to the pros.  I've just learned that there will be no
>pro.  "So you'd better get it right".  Urk.

>Nice knowing you all,

ChrisJohns
Illinois Natural History Survey
Center for Economic Entomology