Re: [OM] scratches inside metal hood -cause for concern?

Subject: Re: [OM] scratches inside metal hood -cause for concern?
From: "imagineero ." <imagineero@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 09:26:39 PDT
Spurred by some of the suggestion on the list, I discovered that a
62mm lens cap perfectly fits the metal hood for 50/1.4, 50/1.8 and
35/2.8.

However, my metal lenshood has been in my junk pile since I noticed
wear and scratches in the very back of the inside of the hood (likely
caused by struggling to get a lens cap on and off without removing
the hood). Should I be worried about reflections from these scratches
causing flare? Should I find some flat black matte paint to cover
them? Or should I ignore them as being far less of a problem than not
having the hood?

I have never seen any formal research done on this particular topic, but I think it would be getting a bit obsessive to worry about it. It may be possible for a tiny amount of light to reflect off the scratch, but how big are we talking here? i think it would be minimal at worst. If it really concerns you, use a magic marker to cover the scratches. My metal hoods tend to get banged about a bit and have also been scratched by inserting filters/caps. I do mine with a marker every 6 months or so, but mostly just to keep them looking ok.