Re: [OM] Shooting styles revisited

Subject: Re: [OM] Shooting styles revisited
From: GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 15:09:50 EDT
Ken,
You've made some interesting points and relevant observations concerning
camera choice versus intended use. Our beloved OM's can fit in all of those
categories or none of them. If your goal is bird photography, Canon and
Nikon's autofocus and lens selection make them the obvious choice. If your
work requires sophisticated fill-flash that is easy to set and then forget,
OM's lose out here, too. However, IMO, one of the OM systems strengths has
been it's versatility. Want a small, light camera for travel, reportage,
etc..., OM's function here. Wildlife? Put on the motor drive and attach the
350w1.4 and you've got a fast, close focusing system. Macro? OM's are great.
And so it goes. OM's are probably not the best choice for any one specific
use. But as a versatile tool for many intended uses, they're hard to beat.
For eight or nine years local Dallas stores have all said that the OM system
would be discontinued "within the year." One store owner told me several
years ago he could still sell OM bodies and lenses if he had even the
smallest support from Olympus. Pro's using Olympus continue to disappear.
This months Outdoor Photographer has an article by long time Oly user Allan
Rokach. Unfortunately, this article credits all photos to Nikon gear. I've
used an N 90s and  7XI in the past and they are great tools. Not great enough
for me to change, however. Hopefully, new OM's will be around for a while
longer. Gary Faulkenberry