Re: [OM] Shooting styles revisited

Subject: Re: [OM] Shooting styles revisited
From: GPaul64@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 08:09:07 EDT
Ken,

Insightful and lucid commentary you provide, as usual.   However
irrationally, though, I do hold some hope that in the near future there will
again be a convergence of technology and market forces compelling Olympus to
reinvigorate the OM line.   My scenario begins with Olympus' current lack of
a high-end digital platform, which I think they will have to address to
remain a serious contender in digital photography.   Confronted with the
enormous technological and market cost of building a system from the ground
up, it may be possible to steal a page from Contax and build a digital camera
with internal AF that uses non-af om lenses.   This camera would have several
advantages:
1.  Leverage an existing, full line of sharp, durable, light, and
(relatively) less expensive and complex lenses than competitive lenses having
all sorts of built in motors and electronics.
2.  Leveraging the remaining brand equity of the OM line, which we saw quite
openly in the latest Camedia ads.

This would present a dramatically different product to the marketplace,
utilizing the best mix of old world and new with clear competitive and
technological advantages.

Ok, enough fantasizing.   Neat to think about, though.

Regards,

Greg Logiodice
Nyack, NY