[OM] Re:

Subject: [OM] Re:
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 06:31:49 -0600
At 12:06 AM 10/4/99 -0700, Alan Green wrote:

[snip]

>I have an OM40 Program (PC) and just recently an OM4Ti. I was excited to get
>the camera and shot around 8 rolls of film playing with the spot, highlight
>and shadow. I also took some of the same shots with the OM40 with ESP on. To
>be honest, I compared the shots and couldn't see much of a difference. I
>don't know whether this reflects on my amateur efforts, or Olympus's clever
>electronics on the OM40. I deliberately shot all close ups of flowers with
>strong areas of light and shade and found the OM40 coped really well.
>
>I don't know whether to be sad about the OM4Ti or really pleased with the
>OM40!!!! Anyone else had experience of having both these bodies?

Alan:

I've posted an example of a photo I took using E-6 (Fuji Sensia) slide film of
my brother-in-law's wedding on the top of Whistler, British Columbia, this last
August (two months ago).  The example is to point out a situation in which ESP
metering probably wouldn't have pulled it off.

The image is at

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/subpages/wood/wedd02a.jpg

Note the strong, almost completely white background.  This is a snow-covered
mountaintop: we were sitting under a dark canopy, surrounded by the mountaintop
and in cloud (which looked, from our perspective, like a "Scotch mist").  The
background was at least five stops brighter than the foreground image.  In this
situation, the spot metering of the OM-4 (identical to your 4-Ti) saved my
bacon, 'cause I could spot meter off of the bride's face.  Other people in the
crowd were using cameras with variants on ESP metering, and the complaints
afterwards were that there were very few "keepers," even though most people
were using C-41 (negative) film, which usually has a wider latitude than E-6.

This whole day was like this: very strongly lit backgrounds, many stops
brighter than the foreground.  My wife's parents complained that they got
almost no usable shots at all.  In contrast (no pun intended), I only lost
about three shots in two rolls (shooting too quickly, and forgot to reset the
spot feature).

Interestingly enough, I was also accidentally underexposing the Sensia by one
full stop, and still managed to do well ("Sensia?  Oh yeah, that's like Velvia
-- I'll just set it to the same ASA..."  Duh.)

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/