RE: [OM] Re:

Subject: RE: [OM] Re:
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 16:30:22 +0200
Hi,

> image.  In this situation, the spot metering of the OM-4 (identical to
your
> 4-Ti) saved my bacon, 'cause I could spot meter off of the bride's face.

Garth, you have provided an excellent example here. This is the very kind of
situation which eventually made me decide to buy the 4Ti. When I still only
had the OM-40 I overcame situations like these by metering the light of the
subject in Manual mode where I made sure the subject would fill the biggest
part of the viewfinder (I think of this as a kind of "poor man's
spotmeter"), and then I would enforce the read value (again, in Manual
mode), frame and shoot. However, as your picture demonstrates, this trick is
not always possible, as e.g. in this case the "subject" is the bride's face,
I don't think people would have appreciated you pushing that camera right in
her face. You just cannot always get close enough to perform the above
(tedious!) trick, so spot metering is a blessing in these situations!

Furthermore, in this picture I would probably have not relied on a single
spot metering, but rather I would have most likely taken a spot metering off
the faces of all the three persons (to make sure those three readings -even
though they will be (almost) the same- will have a heavy influence in the
eventual averaged value of all spot readings) and then 1 reading of the
groom's clothes. Now, try frigging something like that with the OM-40, hmmm,
where's that pocket calculator? ;)

Cheers!
Olafo