Re: [OM] om4ti pricing (battery eater?)

Subject: Re: [OM] om4ti pricing (battery eater?)
From: Wayne Shumaker <wayne@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 12:05:39 -0400
At 11:11 PM 10/4/99 +1000, you wrote:
>I have a 4Ti which has a history of consuming batteries at an alarming
>rate. Yesterday I took it to my local techie and he tested the current in
>auto mode (at "idle") and it was too high. They are always drawing
>current unless you switch the shutter ring to the red 60th or B setting
>at which point it draws, in my case, .001 milliamps if I remember
>correctly. Not enough to worry about anyway. Leave it anywhere else on
>the shutter ring and dead batteries are inevitable.

Sounds like the shutter button has a short. When you slightly depress
the shutter button, you activate the metering system and it pulls a lot
more current than in idle mode. The test would be to let the camera sit
for several minutes without touching the shutter release. This will
give it time enough to for the meter display to go blank and return to
idle mode, 7-9uA (.001mA). If the display never turns off, then the
camera is not returning to idle mode.

Wayne