Re: [OM] please critique my photos

Subject: Re: [OM] please critique my photos
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05 Oct 1999 09:36:56 +1000
Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and
spake thusly:

> I finally go to it! Whoohoo! Now you can all jump on yours truly the
> novice photog. Here is your chance, so go at it ;-)

I like the flower shots.

Contrast is rather flat on many pictures--possibly the scanner (or my
antique monitor)?

Verticals look a little off on some of the architecture, and some of
the scans need spotting.  *Don't* exhibit your failures.  A good deal
of looking like an expert is knowing what to exhibit.

A program like GIMP allows you to rotate your image half a degree or
so (using an intuitive "corrective grid" interface) to straighten
those wonky horizons.

> PPS, I'm HTML-novice, so comments to that effect will also be
> appreciated.

Good to see you haven't been sucked in to the "all glitz, no content, no
clue" mindset.  I'm sick of WWW sites that crash my browser with
JavaScript tomfoolery, or don't work because my browser window isn't
exactly 673 pixels wide.

Some suggestions:

Add a TITLE element to the HEAD area.

Use H1 for your top-level header.

Don't use BR to break paragraphs, use P. BR is hardly ever necessary.

Add a BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" tag inside the BODY element

Why not use in-line thumbnail versions of your images
instead of textual links?  I have a (Unix/perl) program that will
auto-generate thumbnails if you like.

Put your lists of links inside a UL element, preceding each line with
the LI tag.  The DL element is useful for this kind of thing too.

My fave list of HTML resources:

        http://photo.net/wtr/thebook/
        http://werbach.com/barebones/
        http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tilt/cgh/