Re: [OM] please critique my photos

Subject: Re: [OM] please critique my photos
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 18:42:33 -0700 (PDT)
On 5 Oct 1999, Christopher Biggs wrote:

:Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and
spake thusly:
:
:> I finally go to it! Whoohoo! Now you can all jump on yours truly the
:> novice photog. Here is your chance, so go at it ;-)
:
:I like the flower shots.
:
:Contrast is rather flat on many pictures--possibly the scanner (or my
:antique monitor)?

I have no idea about that; others' comments in this area would confirm
your suspicion perhaps. The scanner (Jan? You listening? I know three
other listmembers have the 636) was left on auto, no exposure corrections
at all. Under the preference section, I set it to "sRGB" which greys out
all tweaking functions. sRGB is also the color profile associated with my
monitor (17" Sony) and printer (HP895Cxi).

:Verticals look a little off on some of the architecture, and some of
:the scans need spotting.  *Don't* exhibit your failures.  A good deal
:of looking like an expert is knowing what to exhibit.

Yes, the UoR is skewed, and I've included the explanation. I have to go
and reshoot it when I get the time. I didn't know the other building,
Kim.Crest was skewed. Anyone else?
What's "spotting"?
And would you mind specifically commenting on how to better have taken the
so-so photos?

:A program like GIMP allows you to rotate your image half a degree or
:so (using an intuitive "corrective grid" interface) to straighten
:those wonky horizons.

I've heard of GIMP. I suppose PSP also has something; I just haven't
explored it much. PhotoDeluxe has a free-rotate thingy, which I can use
too.

:> PPS, I'm HTML-novice, so comments to that effect will also be
:> appreciated.
:
:Good to see you haven't been sucked in to the "all glitz, no content, no
:clue" mindset.  I'm sick of WWW sites that crash my browser with
:JavaScript tomfoolery, or don't work because my browser window isn't
:exactly 673 pixels wide.

I've had that trouble too, but mostly with MSIE and scripts. If it slows
without adding meaningful content, I don't justify it (but at the moment,
what you see of HTML on my page is what I know of HTML....).

:Some suggestions:
:
:Add a TITLE element to the HEAD area.

Come again? Aren't those two seperate tags?

:Use H1 for your top-level header.

Instead of H3, correct?

:Don't use BR to break paragraphs, use P. BR is hardly ever necessary.

But "P" puts in a blank line which sort of makes the page look empty.

:Add a BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" tag inside the BODY element

No idea what this is....

:Why not use in-line thumbnail versions of your images
:instead of textual links?  I have a (Unix/perl) program that will
:auto-generate thumbnails if you like.

Uhm, I suppose so. A friend told me about the "table" tag, but I have yet
to get to it.
All this webpage stuff is on "student" which is the server. From home, I
have no way to transfer files to or from the UNIX account to my home PC
because I dial-up to a modem bank and then do from there. So, any editing
or manipulating is done at home and I transfer with floppies (CD drives
don't read RW disks).

:Put your lists of links inside a UL element, preceding each line with
:the LI tag.  The DL element is useful for this kind of thing too.

You mean on the "My Photos" page or on the "Photo" page (all those links
to images and resources links)? "DL" this is the first I've heard of. I
will look them them.

:My fave list of HTML resources:
:
:        http://photo.net/wtr/thebook/
:        http://werbach.com/barebones/
:        http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tilt/cgh/
:        http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/cover.html#toc
:        http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/css/

Right-O; will have a looksee.

Thanks for taking the time to comment; much appreciated.

/Acer "steppenwolf" Victoria
--
"Friendship, I repeat, is nothing but a mere unsubstantioal shadow and a
lure, like everything else that shines in this world."      --D'Artagnan