RE: [OM] Re:

Subject: RE: [OM] Re:
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 20:18:35 -0600
At 04:30 PM 10/4/99 +0200, Olaf Greve wrote:

[snip]

>Garth, you have provided an excellent example here. This is the very kind of
>situation which eventually made me decide to buy the 4Ti.

Me too.

>When I still only
>had the OM-40 I overcame situations like these by metering the light of the
>subject in Manual mode where I made sure the subject would fill the biggest
>part of the viewfinder (I think of this as a kind of "poor man's
>spotmeter"), and then I would enforce the read value (again, in Manual
>mode), frame and shoot.

Yes, I used this trick a number of times (with appropriate emendations) with my
OM-1n.

>However, as your picture demonstrates, this trick is
>not always possible, as e.g. in this case the "subject" is the bride's face,
>I don't think people would have appreciated you pushing that camera right in
>her face. You just cannot always get close enough to perform the above
>(tedious!) trick, so spot metering is a blessing in these situations!
>
>Furthermore, in this picture I would probably have not relied on a single
>spot metering, but rather I would have most likely taken a spot metering off
>the faces of all the three persons (to make sure those three readings -even
>though they will be (almost) the same- will have a heavy influence in the
>eventual averaged value of all spot readings) and then 1 reading of the
>groom's clothes.

I certainly wanted to do that, but there wasn't time -- it was *freezing*
outside, and everyone was hurrying through the formalities to run back into the
lodge where the booze, food and warmth was.  8^>  One spot per frame was the
best I could do, and even then, I lost some of the bridesmaids' procession.
Good thing I wasn't the paid pro on this outing -- or even the *unpaid* pro!

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/