Re: [OM] please critique my photos

Subject: Re: [OM] please critique my photos
From: Chris Barker <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 99 19:08:46 +0200
~~~~~ Acer Victoria said:

>What's "spotting"?

I think that means Siddiq that you take out the minor defects from the
photos using PSP before exhibiting them.

>And would you mind specifically commenting on how to better have taken the
>so-so photos?

I liked the colourful photos such as the "Sprinkler" - good contrast and
colour with interesting lines repeated at angles.  The portraits however
were flat and muddy.  I'm no expert at portraits (wish I were of course),
but I expect that the lighting and the background were to blame.  The
lighting was the wrong colour - especially for "Mum & Omer" and the
background was dingy brown.  Good portraitists seem to make their best
photos with dark backgrounds (black velvet?) or with totally out of focus
highlights in bright ones.  It seems to work well if you can put your
subjects in a clear plane of focus and all else completely out.

Hope that this is not complete rubbish.

Chris

mailto:cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx
mailto:cmib@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx