Re: [OM] Scanners for negs/slide with a sane $$$

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanners for negs/slide with a sane $$$
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 20:12:19 -0400
I have used an HP Photosmart scanner for a while now and am most pleased
with it.  At 2400 dpi resolution for film, it can print up to 8 x 10 inch
prints that indistinguishable from "regular" photos.  However, my model has
been discontinued and a new version, the S20, has replaced it.  The unit is
complete with SCSI card, cable, software and all the bits and pieces you
need to make excellent scans right away.  It scans 35mm film in B&W or color
negative, mounted 35mm slides or prints up to 5 x 7 inches.  The print
resolution is only 300 dpi.

On the down side, the HP software is simplistic at best.  It affords very
little control over the image and all the controls are analog in behavior.
By this I mean you position a slider but you can not enter a specific value.
It makes repeatability impossible.  Also, you can only scan one frame at a
time.  This is not an issue with mounted slides but is a big deal when
scanning strips of negatives.

There is an interesting evaluation of scanners at www.hamrick.com I
recommend you take the time to read.  Mr. Hamrick writes and sells software
for the HP and other scanners and is far more qualified than I to comment.
If you choose an HP scanner, I highly recommend you also acquire his
software, and leave HP's in the shrink wrap.

Elvis <elvis3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Looks like I am about to take the plunge into digital hybridization.
> Looking into getting a scanner to scan negs from my OM (see Olympus
content!!:).I see that Olympus has a scanner.  Was wondering if anyone has
used it and