[OM] Using the F280 for portrait lighting set-up

Subject: [OM] Using the F280 for portrait lighting set-up
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 10:25:47 +0200
Hi,

After reading a book about lighting set-ups for taking portrait pictures, I
now have a desire to use my F280 (the only flash I currently have) as the
main light source (coming from the side of the model), along with some means
of light diffusion (cloth?, paper?, wide-angle diffuser?) and some
polystyrene reflection boards (placed on the other side and/or below the
model).

I would like to use this set-up especially indoors, but potentially also
outdoors (so the Super FP mode could also be used), the film will most
likely be 200 ASA Kodakcolor Gold. The camera will be the 4Ti and the lenses
will most likely be the 50/1.8, 100/2 (probably diffused for female models)
and the 135/2.8, depending on what type of portrait is desired.

Now, some questions:
-Has anyone experimented with similar set-ups, and if so, what are your
findings/recommendations regarding the above idea?
-Does anyone know how well the F280 can be used for the above purposes,
also, is the T32 (much) better suited for this?
-Does anyone have a wide-angle diffuser for sale for the F280?
-Improvements or other interesting tips?

Finally, in order to get the flash to the side of the subject I would like
to be able to extend the AutoCord F0.6 to some 3 meters or so, I had some
initial suggestions upon which Hans replied (off-list), so now after some
finetuning, there seem to be three viable options:
1-The quick and dirty approach, which would be to just cut off the connector
of the F0.6 cord, "insert" a 3m long 1-on-1 cable, and attach the connector
to that (disadvantage: you no longer have a short cable - I don't like
this);
2-Creating a 1-on-1 cable in which you simply plug the F0.6's connector on
one side, and which on the other side has a connector that is identical to
the F0.6's connector. Hans and I also discussed the option for doing this on
"the hotshoe side", but it will probably be too complicated to get the right
parts for that;
3-Using a TTL T (2m or 5m) cable and the TTL Auto Connector T20
(disadvantages: no Super FP mode, TTL Auto Connector T20 is rare and
expensive).

As a "4th option" Hans mentioned buying a T32 and one of the 2m or 5m
cables.

Options 2 and 4 sound most interesting, 2 is cheap and easy to implement, if
and only if the right connectors are available, option 4 is probably the
nicest as it will mean you will have an additional flash (which is also more
suitable for macro work), but it is more expensive and money is currently
not exactly groing on trees for me...

Any suggestions?

Cheerio!
Olafo