Re: [OM] lenses / abstract photography

Subject: Re: [OM] lenses / abstract photography
From: Joey Richards <bigjoe@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 17:53:52 -0400
I should have been more verbose in my description of our "abstract,
non-representational" assignment.  Basically, the idea was to focus
on the composition of the photograph in terms of shapes, lights and
darks, etc, in such a way that the actual subject becomes unimportant
and the composition is visually interesting without evoking the
"oh, that's a nice picture of whatever" response.

Is that clearer?

My best photo for the assignment was a very close-range photo of my
girlfriend's bellybutton, blown up so the navel was about quarter-sized
(probably closer to a canadian quarter than a US quarter; sorry to the
european folks, I am not very familiar with your coins, though I seem
to recall a french franc as being about the same size, maybe a bit larger,
but... I digress).

Our next task is to play with lighting.  I'm a bit frightened of this
one, though, because we are to find/construct objects with interesting
textures, silhouettes, etc, and shoot those with various lighting effects.
The reason I'm frightened is that the instructor showed some "examples"
that were very surreal.  I can't remember the photographer's name, but
she had about 30 images of pieces of clothing and body parts sculpted
from fish heads, cuttlefish, cabbage, etc.

I think maybe I'd be happy to move back toward photography as a recording
medium now... I've had enough of this modern art stuff.  :-)

joey