Re: [OM] Oly equipment and interneg film

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly equipment and interneg film
From: "C.H.Ling" <pling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 21:41:59 +0800
The 2700dpi Nikon LS2000 I own (around 3800pixel horizontal) is sure not
enough to resolve a slide which containing fine details. If the SprintScan
4000 can provide "true" 4000dpi, then I think it is good enough for 35mm
film.

Few months ago I visited Polaroid and tried a scan at 4000dpi, I back home
and scanned the slide with my old LS10 (which is a bit sharper then the
LS2000) I scale up the LS10 scan by software and compared the one from
SprintScan but I can hardly find out any different (or only very little
difference). I am quite disappointed about the result, but I will take
another RVP slide with very fine details to try again.

My Polaroid Propalette 8000 can output film up to 4x5" (an optional film
back is needed) I think which is necessary to have at least 8000 lines
output. For 35mm I think 6000 lines is needed for high quality output.

8000 lines is only around 5600lpi, most or all professional drum scanner can
go over 10,000lpi. Slide outputs are normally not for colour separation
printing. If you got a file, you can make the colour separation, no need to
output to film, film output is mainly for slide projection or traditional
photo printing.

C.H.Ling