[OM] last week sky spectacle

Subject: [OM] last week sky spectacle
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 14:59:48 -0700 (PDT)
If any of you saw or remember, there was a dummy ICBM launched from
Marshall Islands towards the US to test the defense system. An anti-ICBM
took off from Vandenburg air force base off Point Loma (I think?) in
California to intercept it. This was a bit before sunset last Sunday
evening (Oct. 3). It left a fuel trail of some sort that, once it got
caught in the wind, started florescing a bit past susnset, looking like an
aurora borealis, but moving much slowing and lasting some 30 minutes.
Vibrant pastel colors, etc. Fabulous sight.
Anyone saw it live? If so, any capture it on film?
I was in Irvine, and got the last 10minutes of the show, completely by
accident, and not knowing how to expose for such a thing, bracketed all
possible values that made sense (I recall reading somewhere that 1/15 or
1/30 was used for the borealis, so I went from there) on the 50 and 200mm
lenses I happen to have. One frame from each lens came out well. Will post
on page come Monday.

/Acer "steppenwolf" Victoria
--
"Nothing left to win / And nothing else to lose."               --U2