Re: [OM] 1-4n vs 1-8 Screens - what is the difference?

Subject: Re: [OM] 1-4n vs 1-8 Screens - what is the difference?
From: Frank van Lindert <Franklin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 11:20:32 +0200
On Sun, 10 Oct 1999 20:18:54 -0500, "Chip Stratton" <cstrat@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>> I will quote from the Om-bible (The Olympus OM Way):
>

>OK, whats this 'Om-bible thing'. Sounds like I need a copy in a bad way.
>I presume the title is "The Olympus OM Way" - who wrote it, when was it
>published, and what else can you tell me about it? Oh yeah, and where can I get
>a copy?
>
>Thanks,
>Chip Stratton
>cstrat@xxxxxxxxx

I quote again (but now without needing to retype everything) from the
Olympus FAQ
http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq.html#ques_G3

>        _The Olympus OM Way_, L. Andrew Mannheim, Focal Press (London)
>        Focal/Hastings House (New York), 1979, 450 pages.
>        This is a great book with all sorts of trivia about the
>        differences between different versions of the cameras and accessories.
>        It also has much better descriptions than most of the Olympus
>        manuals, especially for things like the Recordata Backs 1 and 2.
>        Too bad it hasn't been kept up to date.  [In fact, if it had
>        been, this FAQ would have little reason to exist!]  --RLH
>        ISBN 0-8038-5390   (USA edition)
>        ISBN 0-240-50985-4 (International edition)

I agree with the description - retyping or scanning the whole book
might provide the list members with a very valuable source of
information.

I can add a few words: This book was state of art in 1979. It does not
cover OM3 and OM4 equipment and other modern (sic) things.
It is also (and more easily) available in German, and then called 'Das
grosse Olympus Buch' (publ.: Laterna Magica) - but this one is also
out of print. It was published in 1981 and therefore a few items like
the T-32 are covered in this book which were not available when the
English edition was printed.

The Olympus OM Way is rather rare and consequently expensive if the
owner knows about that. Prices up to $150 were quoted in this list one
or two years ago. The German edition can be had for DM 100 ($ 50) if
you can find a copy.... Only a few years back I bought 5 of those
German books at the original price of DM 69 ea., new-old-stock, but 4
have been resold or given away - three of them to other list members
here in Europe. I will keep the last one myself ;-)

Every now and then I put up a WTB ad for the book, but without much
succes... I think people living in English speaking countries will
have the best chance to find a copy in second hand book shops...

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.