Re: [OM] Critique and ADITL

Subject: Re: [OM] Critique and ADITL
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 06:43:37 -0400
George Anderson said:

"ADITL images are meant to portray reality at a particular time period
around
the world, correct?  Reality being what the photographer saw and chooses
present, even if in a 'surrealistic' or abstract way.  But I think it's
key
to remember that we are photographers and not painters, at least in the
ADITL context.  Eg:   the 'theme' is 50mm lenses. What can we do with
them,
what are they capable of?  Judging from the entries I've received thus
far
the answer is that a hugely eclectic fanastically varied body of work is
possible with just the 50mm lens. You'll see what I mean soon enough.
And
that was the point of the excercise. NOT what we could 'paint in' or
alter
later in the computer."

And I agree.  Someone else commented about feeling constrained by the
50mm lens.  I frequently do too.  But that's exactly why I suggested the
50m limitation in the first place.  To see what's possible with the 50mm
lens and allow me to see better through the eyes of others.

My ADITL2 image (like the first) had to be scanned by a friend.  My
request to him was to make the scanned image look like the drugstore
print.  I would hope that others are content to limit their electronic
manipulations to modest corrections of exposure, color balance and
contrast.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA