[OM] lens designs

Subject: [OM] lens designs
From: Joey Richards <bigjoe@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 13:26:01 -0400
Hello,

This isn't strictly an OM subject, but I think it should be of
interest to many of you, and I hope that someone can help me.
If you know nothing about lens designs and are not at all
interested in computer graphics, you can probably stop reading
now...

I am planning to develop a computer graphics rendering system
that will model the effects of a physical camera and lens
system.  Things like depth-of-field, perspective effects (ie,
that discussion I sparked about wide-angle "distortion", etc),
true distortion, will be included.  Depending on how things
go, I would eventually like to include more effects of the
traditional photographic process such as "real" film response,
over/under-exposure, grain, etc.

Why would I want to do this?  Well, for people attempting to
mix computer graphics with "real" images, this could help make
things easier.  Probably more useful, it would allow better
simulation of lens designs before they are constructed (so
a lens designer can take a synthetic photograph through his
prototype design to check distortion, contrast, etc).  There
are a number of other reasons one might want this, not the
least of which is that I need a project for my computer
graphics course.

:-)

In order to construct the model for a lens, I will need to know
the technical design data for the lens in question (ie, element
shapes and indices of refraction).  As an example of what I need,
here is part of a specification for a lens:
 Radius   thick   nd    V-no   ap
 58.950   7.520  1.670  47.1  50.4
169.660   0.240               50.4
 38.550   8.050  1.670  47.1  46.0
 81.540   6.550  1.699  30.1  46.0
  ... etc ...

where the first column is the radius of curvature, second is on-axis
region thickness, nd is index of refract, V-no is measure of change
of nd with wavelength, and ap is element diameter.  My source
claims this to be the "traditional" representation of lens design,
so hopefully someone will understand this from my description above.

So, why is this OM-related?

Obviously, I want to model Zuiko lenses.  Does anyone on this list
either have the kind of info about Zuiko lenses that I've described
above or know where I can find it?  I have not tried pestering Olympus
but that may be a way to go if I can find the right person there to
talk to.  I don't know if this is the kind of thing that JohnH would
know, but I'm hoping.  :-)  If I can be picky, I'd love to get the
data for the 50mm/1.4, since that is the lens I own, but I will
offer my first-born to anyone who can help me find the data for any
Zuiko lens.  :-)

Anyway, thanks for listening, and please let me know if you have
any info!

joey

my reference:
Kolb, Craig, Don Mitchell, and Pat Hanrahan.  A realistic camera model
  for computer graphics, SIGGRAPH 1995.