[OM] Tamron SP 300 f2.8 vs. Zuiko 300 f4.5...

Subject: [OM] Tamron SP 300 f2.8 vs. Zuiko 300 f4.5...
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:37:49 -0700
are the two choices I am contemplating as my next lens. I would love the
Zuiko 350 f2.8 but that's not in the financial cards right now.

I like Tamron's SP lenses in general, most of my work is taken with a
Tamron SP 60-300 f3.5/5.4 currently. It has served me well for well over
a decade and is still as nice mechanically as it was when new. With the
300 f2.8 one can add the matched SP 1.4x or 2x SP converters for longer
focal lengths with really good speed. Seems like the way to go on a
budget to me. (I would expect to pay between a grand and 1500 for a nice
one of these used...)

On the other hand, I like the idea of the Zuiko 300 f4.5 as it is much
more compact which, despite the slower speed, is why I really like the
60-300 I use now. (Try panning a 200mph car with a f2.8 300mm for an
hour and tell me how your arms feel...straight shots with a monopod are
another story).

So, I invite comments and suggestions. I have resigned myself to the
fact that I will remain an OM user for the foreseeable future and wish
to add some new lenses to my armament.

First off, would the fixed Zuiko 300 f4.5 be that much better than the
Tamron SP 60-300 I have now at 300mm? Worth the loss of ability to carry
one lens that covers such a vast range (which I would have to continue
to carry for that purpose anyway, along with another body no doubt.)

Aside from speed (and the added versatility because with that speed you
can get away with the converters) how do you all think the Zuiko 300
f4.5 compares to the Tamron SP 300 f2.8?

Just curious and inviting comments and advice. Oh, and for those who
don't know...this would be for motor sports photography almost
exclusively. TIA

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
www.motorsportvisions.com