RE: [OM] Assumed reflectance of film for OTF

Subject: RE: [OM] Assumed reflectance of film for OTF
From: "Chip Stratton" <cstrat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 17:30:29 -0500
It may be that when the OTF system was designed no common film had more than a
1/3 stop reflectivity difference from the average, but as Giles' post shows
that is hardly the case now, with there being a 1.3 stop difference between
Kodak Gold 800 and Kodak Gold 100.

It does make me think that I should be spot metering all my shots if only to
eliminate the OTF variable, though of course there are other good reasons to do
this anyway. That doesn't help with TTL flash, but knowing the reflectivity
assumed by the designers we can make adjustments.

BTW, I made a quick and dirty test of Kodachrome 64, and it reflected about 1/3
stop more than the 18 0ray card.

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx