Re: [OM] Critique and Burn Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Critique and Burn Question
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 21:26:02 -0400
George M. Anderson <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> clarified

> ... I will **not**
> alter the image **unless** the submitter **requests** that I alter it to
> make the image look 'good' on my monitor. In this case, I will alter
> only brightness and/or contrast, **no color** adjustments will be made.
> All submitters who do **not request** 'corrections' should be sure that
> their image looks the way they want it to before they press the send
> button.
> ********

On this I couldn't agree more wholeheartedly.  QED

and then opined:

> As for the digital manipulation question, Wayne presents his case below
> basically that digital alterations should be allowed without constraint
> if I read it correctly. I find this view, while perfectly acceptable for
> some applications, to be inappropriate for ADITL.  Almost all responses
> private and public agree with me on this one.

On the matter of digital image manipulation, I do not agree it is
inappropriate for ADITL at all.  My Anhinga image from ADITL 1 was quite
fiddled with beyond basic cropping and brightness/contrast tweaks.  There
was also a fair amount of dodging/burning and color balance manipulation as
well.  I believe that was all fair and appropriate for the image submitted
and very much in the spirit of ADITL.  I simply used all the tools at my
disposal to the best of my technical ability to present my vision of what
the camera saw.  There was nothing presented that could not be done in a
"wet darkroom".  Given that ADITL is by definition a digital representation
of one's imagery, it only makes sense to me that "digital darkroom"
techniques are appropriate.

That said, I will abide by the group's choice or George's preference in
future ADITL's (as I'm already planning ADITL 3 :)

just my 2 cents