[OM] Vivitar 75 to 300 and whales

Subject: [OM] Vivitar 75 to 300 and whales
From: nfoltz <nfoltz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 00:13:18 -0700
My wife booked me a trip on the Condor at the end of last August to
go see the Blue Whales (largest animals that ever lived on planet earth)

I stopped at a camera store in Ventura and purchased a used OM Winder 2
(Joel -- I know what you mean !  Winder 2 on an OM2s great combo)
Well the store manager convinced me that I needed a used Vivitar
75-300mm
zoom for whale photography and he was right!  It really makes it a lot
easier
to find the whales in the viewfinder at 75mm and then zoom in quickly
before
the action is over!  I've got some of the results up on the web at
http://flzhgn.home.mindspring.com/rorquals.htm

I was zooming all the way out to 300mm on all the shots
Question:  Would the images be better if I had zoomed out to a little
less than 300 mm ?

I haven't taken any photos with the Vivitar 75-300 on my Vivitar Zoom
extension doubler
but looking through it the images seem pretty good.  Does anyone have
experience with this combination ??

-- Hank Hogan <hogant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

PS When I get some photos back-- I might tell you all about
photographing the
Green Flash <http://flzhgn.home.mindspring.com/grnray.htm> of the sun
with a Quantaray 500 mm mirror telephoto on the Vivitar 2x extension
doubler.   Very bizarre "Chinese lantern" effects (due to ducting) and
an inferior mirage green flash.  I hope the photos come out !