Re: [OM] Tamron SP 300 f2.8 vs. Zuiko 300 f4.5...

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron SP 300 f2.8 vs. Zuiko 300 f4.5...
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 13:35:24 -0700
Cc: msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx
I've got both lenses in question -- contact me off-list if you have questions not of interest to the list.

From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>

... With the
300 f2.8 one can add the matched SP 1.4x or 2x SP converters for longer
focal lengths with really good speed.

The Tamron converter is a pain to change. I haven't done a critical quality assessment between the two, but I prefer using the Olympus 1.4 converter, simply because it is much easier to deal with than fooling with the Adaptall fittings, which have two levers that must be properly aligned. Attaching the Tamron 1.4x is kinda like setting up a Benbo tripod... :-)

(I would expect to pay between a grand and 1500 for a nice
one of these used...)

Mine was $1077 used, shipped, for 9+ condition. It came with the matched 1.4x. I got it on eBay. If you can save some money by getting one without the Tamron 1.4x, you can have mine, since I never use it, but unless there is some optical advantage not readily apparent to me, I think you'd be happier with the Olympus 1.4x.

... I have resigned myself to the
fact that I will remain an OM user for the foreseeable future...

... how do you all think the Zuiko 300
f4.5 compares to the Tamron SP 300 f2.8?

<heresy>First off, if you buy the Tamron, you'll be able to keep it if you someday do decide to switch to some other camera system. Second off, in normal shooting, I perceive no optical advantage to the Zuiko.</heresy>

One other advantage to the 1+ speed increase: better subject isolation through selective focus. The Tamron also has lovely bokeh when fully open.

Of course, that sucker's heavy! (Although still a quarter of the weight of a Zuiko 350/2.8.) They provide a little palm rest to screw onto the tripod mount, but IMHO, hand-holding this lens is not really practical. Even though it rotates on the tripod mount (so you don't have to hang it sideways off a tripod), I found it slipping on its mount. The mount has two holes (1/4" and 3/8"), so I attached it with two screws to a Bogen 3270 quick release plate -- problem solved.

Also, the Tamron case is a piece of crap. It's glued together, and is slowly falling apart. You'll want to invest in something better to carry it in.

The Tamron has little dangles for attaching a strap. I don't like straps in general, and I don't like little bits of metal flopping around. I tried taking them off, but the holes underneath aren't tapped far enough to put the screws back in snugly, so it's either put up with the danglies, have holes showing, or have screws sticking out for no good reason.

If you like polarizers, you can inexpensively put a used one on the Zuiko. The Tamron would require a huge (120mm?), expensive, hard-to-find polarizer. It also takes 43mm drop-in filters, but of course, you cannot adjust their rotation easily. (I read that Tokina makes a drop-in polarizer for their big glass, adjustable by a thumb-wheel at the top. Anyone know if this would work on the Tamron?)

So I would summarize thusly:

Tamron advantages: faster, able to switch mounts, better rotating tripod mount, great selective focus, large resale market, wonderful f2.8 bokeh.

Zuiko advantage: light weight, better case, 72mm filters, resale value?, system purity? (if that's important).

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>