[OM] Re: Status of the EOS 1n from Camera World of Oregon

Subject: [OM] Re: Status of the EOS 1n from Camera World of Oregon
From: "Samuel Morales" <dolphans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 11:30:12 -0500
Hey guys I finally received my Canon EOS 1n from Camera World of Oregon.
They told me I would get it in two days.  Well one week went by and I
figured they didn't have any in stock.  When it approached two weeks I
called them back.  Their excuse was they couldn't verify my home number.  My
reply was:  "what do you mean" ? they read my phone number back and they had
it right.  They claimed to have called me three times to verify if I placed
the order and no one was home and I have an answering machine.  They never
sent me a postcard or anything.

To make a long story short they offered to ship it to me gratis for the mix
up. (thought that was nice)  I then received it in two days but , they did
not include the manufacturer's $150.00 rebate they promised.  When I called
back , I spoke to a sales person who said that was strange.  He said: " That
the salesmen there ,are very good about typing this in on the bill of sale".
(what's up with that!)  He said he would check to see if the $150.00 rebate
was being offered at that time. (while on hold , I was saying to myself ,
here we go again)  But he came back and said yes it was available and would
send me one.  He blamed the customer service people.  "Sometimes they
forget".

Anyway , I am bringing  this because some of you expressed an interest in
this half-breed version. (opps politically incorrect , hybrid , no offense
anyone.)  The Canon to Olympus adapter fit the camera perfectly.  You cant
even tell by looking at the camera body , that it's a different mount.  It
was neat seeing the juxtaposition of a Olympus Camera body cap on the EOS1n
body.

Well I used it for the first time to shoot an evening football assignment.
The EOS 1n with the Zuiko performed like a Mazzerati (Italian sports car.)
I liked the sound of the shutter.(sounds like a silenced machine gun, tat ,
tat , tat.)  What blew me away though was how I had more in- focus shots
with the Zuiko lens than I had while using the OM-4Ti with the standard
screen.  The Canon EOS1n had a much brighter viewing screen than the 4Ti ,
it made manual focusing easier.  When I placed the 4Ti back on , my cornea
had a hard time adjusting because of the difference in light in the view
finder. (I have never used a beattie screen ,so perhaps I have been missing
out.)  I always knew my OM-1 and even OM-2000 was a lot brighter than my 4Ti
, but I still could not believe how bright the Canon Eos 1n was.  I was
telling a Canon photographer friend of mine who shoots exclusively EOS and
he asked what screen did I have in it?.  I said the one that came with it.
He said that's nothing Canon has another focusing screen that's even
brighter.  I replied your kidding! , Nope he said.

Anyway I shot wide open at 2.8 sometimes at 6,000 of a second and as the
light quickly gave way I shot manually @ 250th with fill flash and it
performed excellently.  All in all it seemed strange having my film
auto-matically wind on and rewind.  I kept reaching for things that weren't
there if you know what I mean. (old habit)

If any of you wanted to see it , I will be placing my  Olympus 350mm f2.8
(blk version) on ebay either tonight or tomorrow.  The EOS 1n is attached to
the lens , but not included.  I need to free up some denario .  I'm curious
to see how an Auto-focus lens performs now.

If Olympus won't make a camera with a faster shutter  and X-sync , heck just
make it yourself.

Sam ....