Re: Sv: [OM] OM "Great Zuikos"

Subject: Re: Sv: [OM] OM "Great Zuikos"
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 11:22:40 -0700
From: "Michael O'Carrigan" <moc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

At 10:34 AM 10/17/99 +0200, you wrote:

>I would like to read the article, if I can find this magazine around here
>in Copenhagen.

Lars, check out the magazines site at   http://www.phototechmag.com/

More precisely, go to:

  <http://www.phototechmag.com/previous-articles/jul-dubler99.htm>

for the Olympus article.

Commentary: for me, the most hopeful part of the article came near the bottom, when the author questioned Olympus about the future of the system. It sounds that, while understanding that they cannot give the "big two" (or even "big four") any meaningful competition, Olympus values the OM system for the prestige it lends the rest of their products, much in the same way that big automakers create "concept cars."

This is good news and bad news. It seems that the OM system is not in danger of being discontinued -- Olympus will continue to dribble out new products for their prestige appeal.

The bad news is that with this strategy, Olympus is competing in the Leica realm -- expect appropriate prices.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>